Sunday, September 30, 2012

Tau Battle Suits

It's been a bit, and a lot has happened. Currently with out work, and a lot of time on my hands when I'm not trying to find work. I've made the effort yet again with my model painting though. I now actually have a full Tau suit troop, I think. Or well, one that I can at least field. It now consists of a commander and two standard suits. They're all equiped with interchangeable weapons and gear where applicable. I still haven't found a way to attach the "gear" in a way I like. The magnets are way to small to have a strong hold on the location they are attached too, so they seem a little, wonky.



This is the way they're designed now though. The magnets sit easily in the gun and the arm. I'm actually using magnets from miniwargaming.com now, and these are pretty awesome. I thought they'd be to thick originally, when I got them I kind of groaned. However, the magnet set I bought came with a drill bit and when I tried it out it worked amazingly! They're also incredibly strong. I'm a little worried they'll pull each other out of the sockets.

So this is just another standard battlesuit. He isn't bad at all really. I think I put a little to much Matt Spray on him, but that's just me needing to exercise control next time. Regardless, it's clean and nice. A new touch would be the decal's I have applied. It's something I've been experimenting a lot with lately. For him, I was mostly successful, though this time a lot of the decals tore when I tried transferring them off the sheets and onto the armor. I'm really not entirely sure how to resolve this problem. It will just take time I suppose. More practice!

And here is the commander. Now, this guy was build using the new resin commander pack. That pack comes with the two guns you see there, the head piece, and a few war gear options that the other plastic pack doesn't come with. I don't know what to say about Games Workshops resin yet. I'll say more when I get done with the broad sides. I find that the edges tend to be unclean and a little warped though. I'm not overly impressed with the models I get out of them. From now on, I may buy my "resin" from the shop directly, that way I can open the pack and inspect it before taking it home. My sniper drones were an absolute horror and disaster sadly =( I'm not sure they're recoverable. I need to pack them up and go to the store and say "Hey, this sucks, fix it!" I just, sadly, have no receipt. So I'm not sure what they'll say. They'll maybe be ok with that. Regardless, this guy came out fantastic in the end. Little to much wash on the feet there, but over all I'm really happy with him.

So there we have it. All done! What's next? I have one more battle suit to do, but right now I'm working on my two broadsides. I've learned a new thing when it comes to resin, which involves a hair drier. Don't use hot water, it's not good enough. Air drier on the other hand is pretty fantastic. Stick to that, I've shaped my gun barrels now and they're straight and awesome. So much happier after I found that youtube.

Until then, laters!



2 comments:

  1. Great painting as always, and I think the poses are really dynamic. The photos are kind of dim and low contrast, though, and seem slightly out of focus.

    Broadsides are terrifying...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely agree on the photos. I'm not sure what went wrong there. My light set up for sure. I need better lights for this stuff =( Also my place is a bit of a mess due to packing.

      Delete