Friday, November 9, 2012

Tau Tank

Finished this one now, it was sort of the reward for having finished the entire Tau army box as well as 5 suits. I now have a heavy vehicle to add to my lists where I see fit. Hopefully he'll be useful. I ran into a few disappointing blunders with this guy, mostly with assembly and especially with priming. I've looked up online videos of how to use Army Painter, and I'll give those a try. If they fail, I'm never using army painter again and I'll suffer with black primer from GW I guess. We'll see. I'm torn... I love how the Desert Yellow Primer saves me time, but it's destroyed more models than I care to mention.


Right, so the list of paints I used are...

Yellow Portions
Base Coat: Army Painter Desert Yellow
Layer: Vallejo Plague Brown (Airbrushed)
Wash: GW Seraphim Sepia (Airbrushed)
Cracks: GW Agrax Earthshade
Highlight: Vallejo Bonewhite (Drybrushed)

Brown Portions
Base Coat: Army Painter Desert Yellow
Layer: Vallejo Heavy Sierra
Layer: Vallejo Charred Brown
Highlight: Vallejo Dark Fleshtone + Bonewhite (Drybrushed)

Grey Portions
Base Coat: Army Painter Desert Yellow
Layer: Vallejo Heavy Charcoal
Highlight: Vallejo Sombre Grey (Drybrushed)

That should be accurate. Follow that scheme and you should end up something similar to the tank you see here.





This tank is of course set up with magnets. I've made it so that I can change out the burst cannons to smart missiles and as you can see now, the top turret is constructed in such a way that I can change it out based on need. There were plenty of tutorials out there to do this. Here's the one I used mostly. This worked very well. Instead of the metal plate in the cannon though, I just used green stuff and mooshed a magnet in there with a bit of super glue. It works fine.



So, let's talk Army Painter.

The stuff is great if you know how to use it I imagine. I currently don't. As with any materials you aren't use to using, you're going to botch a few things on the way towards learning how to use them. Well... I botched a transport already that I kinda garbaged [Tried to learn how to strip paint, failed and damaged the model. Threw it out eventually when I later failed at making terrain out of it.] This tank was almost a botch as well and you can see it in some of the details... Or... lack of details really.

I've found several Youtube videos, and the hilarious thing is everyone has their own "way" of doing it. I think I just sprayed to long, so I'll have to control myself better next time. Leh sigh. Either way, the tank came out looking great and I am happy with it. Originally I was going to replace it as soon as I got a job and settled with a new one, but, I think this will do and I'll keep it.

Looking forward to getting it nuked in the near future =P


No comments:

Post a Comment